- Pat Leonard: Marc Staal says they are really close to a long-term deal, and his goal was always to remain a Ranger.
- Pierre LeBrun: Staal will have a full no-trade clause for the first three years, with it becoming a partial no-trade clause for the last three years. He’ll have a full no-movement clause for all six years in which he can’t be placed on waivers.
- Elliotte Friedman: The Rangers made re-signing Marc Staal their No. 1 priority. There hasn’t been much, if at all, contract talks with Martin St. Louis, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello, etc.
- Bruce Garrioch: There have been no recent talks between the Senators and Marc Methot. Waiting for Methot to get more game time before re-starting talks.
- The Pipeline Show: College free agent goalie Matthew O’Connor confirmed that the Oilers are one of six teams that he’s talked to.
- Randy Miller: Flyers coach Craig Berube said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Rob Zepp is a Flyer next year
- Nichols on Hockey: Pierre LeBrun on TSN 1050. Teams have contacted the Maple Leafs to say that if they are going to get serious about trading Phil Kessel, to let them know as they want to get in on the conversations. The Leafs may not trade him, but there is interest. There would also be interest in Dion Phaneuf. What the return would be is the question.
The Sabres may have waited too long to trade Chris Stewart. There was a deal to be made with the Senators or Bruins in late October/early November. The Sabres will listen on Tyler Myers, but are wanting the moon for him.
Dustin Byfugien will be a UFA at the end of next season and market value for him right now would be in the $5.5 to $6.5 million range.
Darren Dreger on TSN 1050: Zack Kassian doesn’t seem to be a fit in Vancouver. There have been rumblings that the Bruins might be interested. Would be a surprise if Kassian was still with the Canucks by the end of the season.