On the Minnesota Wild …
- Chad Graff of the Pioneer Press: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said yesterday that head coach Mike Yeo’s job is safe. Fletcher on looking to make a trade to change their losing skid.
“If there’s an opportunity to make our team better, I’ll do it. Obviously I’m talking to GM’s every day. This is the time of the year where you’re in regular in conversations with your counterparts, and there may or may not be opportunities to do something.”
Fletcher on if their cap situation will limit what they can do on the trade front.
“No, we have plenty of cap space. That’s not an issue at this point. We’ve been able to accrue enough cap space where we’re in a position to take on salary, and obviously we have a great owner. Craig has always been willing to do what it takes to help the team. But that’s not an issue. There are a lot of teams looking for similar things right now. There are a lot of teams still in the playoff race, there are a lot of teams looking to improve their teams, so that’s more of a challenge than the salary cap.”
Fletcher on if they have tradeable players.
“We have tradeable guy. We have picks, we have prospects, we have assets that other teams like, I can tell you that much from the conversations I’ve had. The question is: Are you going to make a good trade? That’s the whole point right now. I’m not interested in moving young assets for rental players at this point. But again, this group is capable of being a lot better than what we are right now.”
On the Winnipeg Jets …
- Mike Johnston of Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman said there has been a lot of conversations between the Jets and Dustin Byfuglien’s camp. Talk between the Jets and Andrew Ladd is not as clear.
“The word is if both sides are willing to budge, there is a possibility for a deal there,” Friedman said. “But, we’ve got to wait to see if both those sides are willing to come back to the table.”
Sportsnet “Headlines” …
- A Flyers – Penguins outdoor game is possible next year, but it wouldn’t be the Winter Classic. The Blues will likely host the Blackhawks on January 2nd, with the Maple Leafs hosting the “Heritage Classic” on January 1st.
- Changes to goaltending equipment could happen for the World Cup later this year and for next season.
- The Panthers will be meeting Vincent Trocheck’s camp in the next week about a possible contract extension.