- The Ottawa Senators will be buyers this year, but not for Kovalchuck. The Senators will be looking for another scoring forward. Ray Whitney and Matt Cullen, both of Carolina could be options. The Oilers could move anyone, the Senators were interested in Dustin Penner before, but the Oil might be reluctant to deal him. Winger Colby Armstrong is available, the Flames have been trying to get him for weeks.
- The Flames have been looking to deal for weeks, Olli Jokinen and Craig Conroy are being shopped.
Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal: The Oilers have been rumored to be shopping Sheldon Souray, who’ll waive his no-trade as long as they follow some of his parameters. His family will be the main parameter (he didn’t list what the parameters were), and they are out west. “It’s no secret my family is as important as the game.” So geography will be extremely important.
- Chris Osgood is getting frustrated in Detroit. After only starting once in 1 month, and hearing his coach say they needed Howard to start as they need the points, Osgood broke from his positive talk. “I’ve gotten him a lot of points, too, and you can write that. I got him to the Stanley Cup finals the last two years and you can write that, too,” said Osgood.
- Do the Blue Jackets trade Raffi Torres for a 2nd round pick? There may be 8-10 teams willing to give up a 2nd.
- Trade destinations for Petr Sykora: Calgary, Boston or Anaheim.
- Marek Svatos is available for a mid-round pick.
- An Eastern Conference team, maybe the Devils, might make a pitch for Mike Modano, though Modano might might not agree.
Tim Panaccio of SCNPhilly.com: Paul Holmgren is looking to upgrade the Flyers defense corps, especially since Ryan Parent went down for 6 weeks. The Flyers 6th – 8th d-men have all been hurt throughout the season, so depth might be a concern for them.