- Pierre LeBrun of ESPN: Source said yesterday that Senators GM Bryan Murray has been calling around trying to improve their offense. There is nothing imminent. It’s a deal they need to make this month and not at the deadline as they need to move up the standings.
- Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun: Senators management and scouting staff will meet this weekend to go over the draft and decide on a course for the rest of this season. The Senators would like to become buyers by the deadline. They are only six points out of a playoff spot.
- The Fourth Period: If the Senators can’t make up ground in the East, Marc Methot will likely be traded. The Ducks and Red Wings are among the teams that have shown interest in Methot.
- David Pagnotta: Shane Doan’s agent said the report of Doan waiving his no-movement clause is very untrue. Pagnotta thinks Doan isn’t going anywhere. Antoine is going to be traded, but it won’t be to Winnipeg.
- Michael Russo of the Star Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said not only is he looking for goaltending help, he’s also looking for position players.
“I’ve been on the phone with teams for several weeks,” Fletcher said Thursday morning. “Like every team, we have holes that we need to fill or areas we need to upgrade. I would suggest some weeks you’re looking for different things than others as needs arise or injuries happen, but if you make a move, you want to make sure it’s an upgrade, and that’s the challenge.
“Most teams are in a playoff spot or close to a playoff spot, so it’s difficult to make things happen quickly this time of year. If we can, we will. And I’ll also say if we start to fall back a bit, it certainly makes it less enticing to deal future assets for players.”
- Kevin Paul Dupont: (answering question) It would take Dougie Hamilton, Malcolm Subban and a conditional 2nd round pick to get Taylor Hall.
- Adam Kimelman: Scouting the Flyers-Capitals: Blackhawks, Penguins, Ducks, Lightning, Canadiens, Blues, Stars and Red Wings.