- Sam Carchidi: Flyers GM Ron Hextall said that no trades are imminent. “Translation: I can’t even get a fifth-round pick for some of our underachieving veterans.”
- David Pagnotta: The Blue Jackets continue to talk trades.
- David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: Going off of Kevin Allen’s Nail Yakupov trade proposal from here: The Oilers may not need another young defenseman unless he’d be a top-pairing guy. Olli Maatta may make sense for the Oilers, but maybe not for the Penguins. Derrick Pouliot could one day become a top pairing guy, but the Penguins may not want to give him up. Pouliot wouldn’t help the Oilers much this season.
- Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger on TSN Radio: “I think it’s obvious based on his level of play that Franson is a big piece of the Leafs blueline.” “Nonis is going to have to work real hard & sharpen his pencil if he’s going to have any hope of re-signing Franson” “Franson has earned his right to UFA. How many times do we talk about teams looking for big RHS D at the deadline? All the time” “It’s one of the most sought after positions in the game. Franson has a lot going for him” “It’s going to be a very difficult decision for Franson. Does he want to be part of the sometimes circus environment in Toronto?” “Some guys thrive in it. I think Franson is one of those guys that thrive in it. We saw how Franson responded to Simmons’ question” “There’s going to be a bidding war for Franson. That number is going to start north of $5 million per year” “If he continues to play well this is going to be a financially game changing year for Franson”
- Nichols on Hockey: Bob McKenzie on TSN radio: The Flyers could use an upgrade on their blueline. Could use to move some guys out, but they are not that marketable at the moment.Elliotte Friedman on 630 CHED: The Blue Jackets may have not wanted to trade Artem Anisimov given Brandon Dubinsky’s injury history, and you can never have enough centers. Trade talks surrounding David Perron have cool recently. The Oilers may have been trying to trade him for awhile. The Kings may have been one of a few teams that the Oilers previously talked too about Perron. Teams may wait on Perron as they could be more interested in Jordan Eberle.
Friedman on Sportsnet 960: The Bruins, Flyers and Blues could be interested in Eberle. The Oilers may wait until the offseason.