On the Toronto Maple Leafs …
- James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail: Lamoriello will be busy leading up to the trade deadline. They have nine pending UFAs on their roster and if they can get draft picks and/or prospects for them, they should move them.They have Daniel Winnik and Jonathan Bernier with one year left on their deals. They have held talks with teams about both.
Joffrey Lupul and Tyler Bozak have three years left on their contracts and are available as well.
P.A. Parenteau and James Reimer could be easily traded for value – second round draft picks or prospects
Roman Polak likely won’t get the Leafs much more than a third round pick.
It will be harder to move players like Michael Grabner, Shawn Matthias, Nick Spaling, Mark Arcobello, Brad Boyes, and Rich Clune.
Hard to see a team interested in trading for Joffrey Lupul.
The Leafs might be able to move Bozak and Bernier for second or third round picks.
A mid-round pick for Winnik is possible.
Newly acquired Milan Michalek, Colin Greening and Jared Cowen could also be dealt.
It’s unlikely the Leafs would trade James van Riemsdyk, Nazem Kadri, Morgan Rielly or Jake Gardiner.
- James Mirtle: Teams were sure the Maple Leafs would have had to retain salary when they traded Dion Phaneuf. They had been shopping him for a long time.
- James Mirtle: Executives had thought the Maple Leafs would have to take someone back like Mark Fayne – two years left on his contract – while retaining salary and not receiving a draft pick and/or prospect.
- Shawn Simpson: The Leafs wanted Michalek included in the trade. They must have someone interested – the Lightning or Canadiens? A second round pick for him?
- Chris Johnston: Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello said that both he and Mike Babcock talked to Milan Michalek while he was deciding on whether to waive his no-trade clause to come to the Leafs.
- Ian Mendes: Jared Cowen admitted that he asked the Senators for a trade earlier this season.
- Platinum Seat Ghosts: Nick Kypreos: “I think Kadri is like a Komarov where if you get a deal you can’t refuse, then you take it.”
- Renaud Lavoie: Lou Lamoriello said on Saturday morning that he left his cell phone in Bryan Murray’s office.