- Darren Dreger via twitter: Sidney Crosby’s status for Friday may or may not be addressed after practice today.
- Chris Botta via twitter: Botta suggests Maple Leafs coach Ron Wilson could be reunited with goalie Evgeni Nabokov but wonders if the Islanders would trade a quality goalie to a team in the Eastern Conference for a draft pick or iffy prospect.
- BD Gallof via twitter: The 2nd round pick that the Islanders may be interested in getting for Evgeni Nabokov is “likely a conversation starter or a dealmaker cost.” Gallof warns Islanders fans that Nabokov won’t yield the team an impact player, a small deal at best.
- Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star: From James Reimer’s mother on his injury:
“He looks clear. His eyes look fine. But he says he still has that nagging headache,” Marlene said. “I think his doctor finally said, ‘Let’s take you off the ice and see if it improves.’ … I’m hoping there’ll be some good news pretty soon.”
“That’s the frustrating part for us — not knowing what it is, and why they’re not calling it a concussion when they say ‘concussion-like symptoms,’” Marlene Reimer said. “Like, how is that not a concussion? … The initial test showed him to be clear of a concussion. But as it goes on, it’s kind of mystifying. He’s okay some days. And some days he’s definitely not okay.”
Reimer’s mother added that he’s had “several” concussions and he suffered whiplash last season with the Marlies. His first concussion came when he was 16 years old.
- Jesse Spector of the Sporting News: If the Blue Jackets decide to replace coach Scott Arniel, former Kings and Blues coach Andy Murray likely won’t be interested in the position as he’s happy coaching at Western Michigan. “There were NHL opportunities before, but I said no because I want to be here at Western Michigan,” Murray told Sporting News. “The Columbus one is new to me. I can’t talk to that situation, I haven’t talked to anybody from Columbus.” Former Senators coach Cory Clouston is a possible candidate for the position.
- Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette: Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov accompanied the team on their flight to Arizona, and could begin practicing with the team. Andrei Kostitsyn and Scott Gomez are day-to-day, and could be ready to return to the lineup before the end of the week.
- Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: Avalanche forward Peter Mueller could return tonight. He’s been out 12 games with post-concussion symptoms. He practiced on a line with Matt Duchene yesterday and will be re-evaluated this morning. JS Giguere will get the start in net. Lines at yesterday’s practice: Mueller-Duchene-Jones, Landeskog-O’Reilly-Kobasew (no Winnik), Lindstrom-Stastny-Hejduk, McLeod-Galiardi/McClement-Porter.
- Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune: Blackhawks defenseman Steve Montador was inserted on the 2nd power play unit. They are currently 5 for 57 on the man advantage. Center Dave Bolland is questionable for tonight’s game after taking a puck off the foot in their last game.
- Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun: Flames center Mikael Backlund could return as early as Friday against the Blackhawks.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: Blues forward Andy McDonald is coming along slowly from his concussion.
- Andy Strickland via twitter: The Blues may be offering recently fired coach Davis Payne an chance to remain in the organization and do some pro scouting.